Archive Record
Images
Metadata
Catalog Number |
2010.1.8.7 |
Object Name |
Manual |
Title |
Instruction Booklet for the Use and Care of Lionel Electric Trains, Model Railroad Accessories, & Multivolt Transformers |
Date |
c. 1935 |
Description |
A paper manual for a Lionel "O-Guage" toy train set. It was published by the Lionel Corporation based in New York. The title, "Instruction Booklet for the use and care of Lionel Electric Trains, Model Railroad Accessories & Multivolt Transformers" is written in black ink. There is a black border around the cover page as well. |
History |
Trains not only revolutionized Canada in the 19th century by connecting the country from West to East, but they were a thrilling symbol of innvation seared into the public consciousness. The image of the last spike of the Canadian Pacific Railway hammered in 1885 became a symbol of national unity. Therefore, children's toys depicting these marvels were immediately popular and continued to be so for generations of children. This prewar Lionel Electric Model Train set from the 1930s is a prime example of the Lionel Train manufacturer, established circa 1900. The "O Gauge" model was introduced in the 1930s to replace the more expensive standard gauge, which was discontinued in 1939. The train set belonged to the Carr family, whose farm was located on Concession 2, lot 16, on the north-west corner of Burnhamthorpe Road and Highway #10 (then known as Centre Road). The farm practiced mixed farming, though they were primarily dairy farmers. The Toronto Suburban Railway, which travelled from West Toronto to Guelph, went through the property beginning from 1917-1931. The train set likely belonged to William "Bill" Carr who grew up on the farm in the 1930s. Today, Square One is located where the farm once stood. |
References |
"History of Lionel trains". Lionel Trains. (2015). http://www.lionel.com/articles/timeline |
People |
Carr, William |
Search Terms |
City Centre Civic Centre Cooksville |
Relation |
Show Related Records... |
